If you are looking into who we are and what we do, then here are a few things that it might be helpful for you to know. We don’t invest a lot of time in brochures and case studies as we prefer to put our effort into real projects that help our clients – and we’d be very happy for you to talk to some of those clients, and let them speak for themselves.
Who we are and what we do
We are two experienced consultants, Patrick Ballin and Kay Armstrong, who founded Mile One in 2006 after successful senior management careers in two international businesses (The Body Shop and Allied Domecq).
Mostly, one of us will take the lead with a client based on our individual strands of expertise. For Patrick, those strands include executive coaching, team development, internal partnering and external collaboration. For Kay, the strands are in marketing, branding and consumer insight. Occasionally, projects come up that allow us to work together for a client, and that’s a lot of fun for us and for them.
Much of our work is based around improving internal, external and customer connections and we practice this in the way we work too – working extensively with partner organisations and other practitioners, as part of teams that come together for client projects. You may have come across us working in one or another of those teams.
Who we work with
Most of our work is with larger national or international organisations. For example, we’ve worked in the last two years with businesses in pharmaceutical, retail, hospitality, FMCG, financial services, travel and tourism. We also enjoy working with smaller charities and social enterprises.
Recent engagements include:
- remote coaching for leaders in internal partnering and managing change, following the restructure of support services in a global pharmaceutical company
- individual coaching, and up-skilling in team facilitation, for leaders in one of the leading travel and tourism bodies in the UK
- the design and delivery of a leadership and strategic skills programme for procurement leaders in an international transportation services business, delivered in France and the Netherlands
- qualitative research on the consumer reaction to a proposed, and subsequently award-winning, tourism advertising campaign
- designing and delivering a remote training programme to enhance the supplier partnering skills for managers in a large FMCG company